Tuesday, October 28

Life

People chill hard here. It's like medicine. If a teacher drinks too much the night before, he'll come in and announce that he's hungover and he'll sleep between his classes. I've started taking naps too. But I usually wake up with Korean kids standing over me and staring. Most days someone will bring in fruits or vegetables for us to eat between meals - lately it's mostly been sweet potatoes because they're being harvested now. So several times a day, someone heats up a couple sweet potatoes or arranges a few bunches of grapes on a plate and without much being said, we wander over to the big table in the back of the office. We eat and talk and laugh. And I realize sometimes that the gathering has become a party, all centered around yams on a paper plate and a plastic bag full of potato skin. After lunch, most of the teachers play badminton or ping pong until the next class starts. I usually play basketball, but today I had a badminton date with some women from my office. We played in a grassy area between the two buildings. It was windy and they laughed like children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fletch!! Hey well look at this I have found you thousands of miles away. Whit told me youd been keeping a blog. This is wonderful. Bravo. I think ab you often. This week I am reading a book called The Zen Monastic Experience about Buddhism in Korea and one mans stories from a life at one of three jewel monastatires in Korea called Songgwang-sa...ANYWAY...reminds you that while I read ab KOREA you are THERE.

Hope all is well. So awesome Poof and you were just gone.Gone East. Love it.

"I've started taking naps too. But I usually wake up with Korean kids standing over me and staring..." HAHA LOVE IT.

always,
Courtney

Scandinavian Design Finds said...

Has Tom Robbins not taught you about the power of yams?